Happy New Moon Blessings Creative Soul,
FUN FACT: Did you know that as a result of the new moon and full moon phases creating swing tides in the ocean, that avid surfers heavily depend on tide charts on the daily (actually, hourly), so that they could plan their surfing sessions around the tides? Every surf break and the quality of that particular wave and how it breaks is dependent on whether the tide is high or low. THAT is a whole ‘nother lesson, but I just wanted to share, because as a surfer girl, mama, wife and lover of the ocean, there is a LOT we could learn about being in tune with Mother Nature.
And that is: We benefit when we dance with the rhythms of the Earth.
It’s funny, when I started this blogging journey, I had started to share my creative process from a soul-level, creating art for the sake of creating art, because I wanted to share how healing it could be. For me, art-making, surfing, and dancing are three of the most important self-care activities I could gift myself with, especially as a mama to a little one.
Life is FAST. Crazy. Chaotic. And most days, adulting (how funny that that’s a ‘word’ now!) is some serious business. And most times, in my humanistic needs to control everything, I need to go back to roots and remind myself, “Hey, just go with the flow and the Universe will support you…there’s no need to rush”.
I’m extremely grateful that I could share my love for art and connecting with the ocean with you, because it always brings me back to center, and I hope that it does the same for you.
In this episode of Creative Rituals TV, I’ll share some quick tips on how to paint a simple ocean art abstract painting with acrylics.
RECOMMENDED ART SUPPLIES:
(Amazon Associates Disclosure: Desiree East Studios is a participant in the Amazon Services Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Thank you for your support!).
1) Apply base colors: Simply start with two colors to keep things simple. Let this first layer dry.
2) Use a stencil to suggest texture: Apply a contrasting color to paint over the first layer. Cover your canvas as much or as little as you’d like using a foam paint roller.
3) Next, loosely paint or outline design: This will create structure for your painting. It doesn’t have to be perfect, because you will be adding layers as you go. The beauty of intuitive art is not having a ‘set’ plan. Just go with the flow and see what comes out. Your ocean design may very well be different than mine, and I encourage you to create your own version, using your creative intuition.
4) Add more details using acrylic paint pens: Paint pens are the perfect tool if you want to have more controlled lines in your painting. They are great for creating details, as well as, writing out words.
5) Continue to add more details to your heart’s content: As you create more layered details, more depth and interest will result.
6) Paint sides of canvas: If you have a wrapped canvas, the what you apply on the sides could create more interest, as well. Sometimes I like to create a vignetted effect to ‘frame’ my piece. Other times, I like to add words or affirmations.
7) Blend more color into places that need some contrast and/or depth: Applying highlights and shadows prevent your artwork from looking ‘flat’ and helps to create dimension.
8) Add more details w/acrylic paint pen.
9) Add final details and highlights: I always save the details and highlights for the last layer.
10) VOILÀ, done!
Please share your creative process below, and if you have a chance to tag me with your artwork on Instagram @artistdesireeeast I’d love to see what you’ve been working on!
P.S. Mother's Day is coming up, and if you're interested in gifting the mamas in your life with some creative love, Mandala Painting Meditations is beautiful form of creative meditation and self-care. No art experience required. Just click 'This product is for someone else' when you click through to the order form, and they'll be all set. I promise to take wonderful care of them!