DESTINATION 3 DEGREES directed by Chris Aguilar
DESTINATION 3 DEGREES - Official Trailer
a film by Chris Aguilar
produced by Soul Surf Media Productions
Metro 4 Theatre: Sunday, January 30th at 11am
Lobero Theatre: Monday, January 31st at 10pm
Metro 4 Theatre: Tuesday, February 1st at 10am
(Please note the schedule is subject to change)
SYNOPSIS: 300 miles, 3 degrees of latitude, an adventure of a lifetime.
In April 2010, two elite stand up paddlers, Jenny Kalmbach and Morgan Hoesterey, left the Big Island of Hawaii determined to paddle from there to the northern most island in the chain, Ni'ihau.
The CAUSE: They did this to raise awareness and support for the Algalita Marine Research Foundation - an organization dedicated to studying the effects of plastics in the ocean. After months of preparing and training, they would not just be tested physically but mentally.
The CHALLENGE: The phrase "don't give up" means something different in the midst of a night time 16-hour, 70-mile paddle from Oahu to Kauai. Through broken equipment, broken relationships and the heartache of secluded beaches littered with plastics Jenny and Morgan encounter every challenge imaginable from weather to equipment.
Click to see interactive map with related photo/video clips:
- 'Alenuihaha Channel: "Of very large, trough-like waves" (Hawaii-Maui)
- 'Alalakeiki Channel: "Screaming or crying child" (Maui-Kaho'olawe)
- Auau Channel: "To take a bath" (Maui-Lanai)
- Pailolo Channel: "To urge or rouse expertise and skill" (Maui-Molokai)
- Kaiwi Channel: "The bones" or "Long surf line" (Molokai-Oahu)
- Ka'ie'iewaho Channel: "The 'ie 'ie vine" (Oahu-Kauai)
- Kaulakahi Channel: "The red place" (Kauai-Ni'ihau)
Filmed on HD and on Super 8, Destination 3 Degrees follows each step of the journey from camping on Lanai to free diving off the forbidden island of Ni'ihau. This is the story of two women striking out across three degrees of latitude on the adventure of a lifetime.